Summers almost here & that means it’s time to break out everyone’s favorite and refreshing fruits & veggies. One of those being, Pineapples. So many different ways to serve this juicy fruit. Wether you keep it raw on a platter, or grill it on a skewer for a BBQ, the options are endless. But let’s face it, how annoying is it to cut a pineapple?
Did you know?
- It takes almost 3 years for a single pineapple to reach maturation.
- Once a pineapple is harvested, it doesn’t continue to ripen.
- Pineapple cores contain high levels of bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme which contains chemicals that interfere with the growth of tumor cells. Making pineapples a good source to prevent cancer. Who would have thought?
- Pineapples are great for tenderizing meats.
Is it Ready?
Ever wonder how to tell if your pineapple is ready to eat or not?
- Pull out some leaves from the centre of the crown. If they come out easily the pineapple is ready. You can additionally smell the bottom; a fruit that is ready will have a strong unmistakably ripe fragrance.